If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Leave the building you are in.
- Get any victims to fresh air immediately.
- Call 9-1-1.
- Call your local utility.
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips:
- Check that furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters, and clothes dryers are properly ventilated.
- If you have a working fireplace, keep chimneys clean and clear of debris.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Do not operate gas or charcoal grills indoors.
- Never use Kerosene- or oil-burning heaters in an enclosed space.
- Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
- During and after a snowstorm, check that the vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow.
- A generator should always be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Check and change the batteries every six months when resetting your clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
For information on preparing for hazards, visit the Prepare for Philadelphia Hazards page. Stay connected with the Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management by following PhilaOEM on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and YouTube.