Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide – a colorless and odorless gas – can be produced from improperly vented furnaces, plugged or cracked chimneys, water heaters, fireplaces, stoves and tail pipes. The most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning is headache. Symptoms may also include dizziness, chest pain, nausea and vomiting. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness and death.
If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Leave the building you are in.
- Get any victims to fresh air immediately.
- Call 9-1-1.
- Call your local utility.
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips:
- Check that furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters, and clothes dryers are properly ventilated.
- If you have a working fireplace, keep chimneys clean and clear of debris.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Never operate gas or charcoal barbecue grills, kerosene- or oil-burning heaters in an enclosed space.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Check and change the batteries every six months when resetting your clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
For information on preparing for other Philadelphia hazards, visit the Prepare for Philadelphia Hazards page. Stay connected with the Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management by following PhilaOEM on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, MySpace and YouTube.