Power outages and disruptions of utility services can happen for various reasons, such as emergencies, severe weather, downed trees or power lines. Be prepared click the following links to download the Office of Emergency Management's Disruption of Utility Service flyer and When the Lights Go Out flyer
If You Lose Phone Service
- Use your cell phone, or borrow one from a friend or neighbor, and call your provider to report the outage.
- You could lose phone service during a power outage if your phone requires an electrical outlet to work. It is a good idea to have a phone that does not rely on electricity, and just plugs into a phone jack.
If You Smell Gas
- DO NOT smoke or light lighters or matches. If the odor is very strong, do not use your phone or operate any light switches or electrical devices – any spark could cause a fire.
- Open windows.
- Evacuate immediately, then call 9-1-1.
Water and Sewer-Related Problems
- Always have a supply of bottled water in the house.
- If you see water coming up from the ground or road, or suspect a water main break, call the Philadelphia Water Department at 215-685-6300. Be ready to provide the following information on the phone: a description of the condition, what is being affected (street, basement, subway), the exact location of the problem, and your name, address and telephone number.
- If you have no water or very low water pressure, call the Water Department at 215-685-6300.
- If there is a concern about drinking water quality, officials will tell you what actions to take.
If There is a Power Outage
- Call your power provider immediately to report the outage.
- PECO Energy Customer Service: 1-800-494-4000
- PECO Energy Emergency hotline: 1-800-841-4141
- Disconnect or turn off all appliances that would otherwise go on automatically when the power comes back on. If several appliances start up at once, they could overload the circuits.
- To prevent food spoilage, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Each time the door is opened, heat enters and speeds up the thawing process.
- Stay indoors, if possible.
- Never touch or go near downed power lines.
- Do not burn charcoal indoors, and do not use your kitchen gas range or stove to heat rooms. These might cause a fire or a hazardous smoke condition.
- Do not use generators indoors. They can create a deadly carbon monoxide buildup.Keep a battery-operated radio tuned to KYW 1060 AM for updates.